Sunday, May 6, 2012

Gelugpa Dedication Verses


Dedication Verses

Dedication of positive potential (merit) is very important, as it prevents one's positive potential from being destroyed by anger or wrong views. Dedicate the positive potentials created by oneself and others in the past, present and future in the following ways:
  1. Due to this merit may I soon
    Attain the enlightened state of Guru-Buddha,
    That I may be able to liberate
    All sentient beings from their sufferings.
  2. May the precious bodhi mind
    Not yet born arise and grow.
    May that born have no decline,
    But increase forever more.
  3. In all my rebirths may I never be separated from perfect Spiritual Masters and enjoy the magnificent Dharma. Completing all qualities of the stages and paths, may I quickly achieve the state of Vajradhara.
  4. May anyone who merely sees, hears, remembers, touches or talks to me be freed in that very instant from all sufferings and abide in happiness forever.
  5. It is only from the kindness of my Spiritual Masters that I have met the peerless teachings of the Buddha. Thus, I dedicate all positive potentials so that all migrating beings may be guided in the future by kind and holy Spiritual Masters.
  6. Until cyclic existence ends, may the beneficial teachings not be blown away by the wind of superstitions. May the entire world be filled with people who have understood and found firm faith in the true teachings.
  7. Day and night, may I pass the time thinking and examining by what means these teachings can spread in the minds of myself and others.
  8. May sentient beings, who have all been my mother and father, be completely happy, and may the lower realms be forever empty. May all the prayers of bodhisattvas, in whatever places they live, be immediately fulfilled.
  9. May I experience whatever sufferings sentient beings have, and they experience whatever happiness and virtue I have.
  10. May the glorious Spiritual Masters live long, and may all beings throughout limitless space have happiness. By purifying our defilements and accumulating positive potential, may I and all others be blessed (inspired) to attain Buddhahood quickly.
  11. May I never develop for even a moment wrong views towards the deeds of my glorious Spiritual Masters. By seeing whatever actions they do as pure with respect and devotion, may the Spiritual Masters' inspiration flow into my mind.
  12. In whatever way you appear, O glorious Guru, whatever your retinue, lifespan and pureland, whatever your name most noble and holy, may I and all others attain only these.
  13. In order to follow the excellent examples set by the wisdom of the bodhisattva Manjushri and the always sublime Samantabhadra, I dedicate all virtues to their peerless ideals.
  14. All Conquerors passed into the three times have praised as supreme this peerless dedication. Therefore, I also surrender all roots of my activities to the sublime goals of a bodhisattva.
  15. In all our lives, through the Victorious One, Lama Tsong Khapa acting as the actual Mahayana Spritual Master, may I never turn aside for even an instant from the excellent path praised by the Victorious Ones.
  16. May I and others be able to live in pure moral conduct, train our minds in bodhicitta, and develop pure view and conduct. In this way, may we complete our lives without corrupting the pure wisdom of Lama Tzong Khapa, (who is like) the second Buddha.
 Dedication Prayer of the Gradual Path to Enlightenment

From my two collections, vast as space, that I have amassed from working with effort at this practice for a great length of time, may I become the chief leading Buddha for all those whose mind's wisdom eye is blinded by ignorance.

Even if I do not reach this state, may I be held in your loving-compassion for all my lives, Manjushri. May I find the best of complete graded paths of the teachings, and may I please all the Buddhas by practicing well.

Using skilful means drawn by the strong force of compassion, may I clear the darkness from the minds of all beings with the points of the path as I have discerned them; may I uphold Buddha's teachings for a very long time.

With my heart going out with great compassion in whatever directions the most precious teachings have not yet spread, or once spread have declined, may I expose this treasure of happiness and aid.

May the minds of those who wish for liberation be granted bounteous peace, and the Buddhas' deeds be nourished for a long time by this gradual path to enlightenment completed due to the wondrous virtuous conduct of the Buddhas and their spiritual children.

May all human and non-human beings who eliminate adversity and make things conducive for practicing the excellent paths never be parted in any of their lives from the purest path praised by the Buddhas.

Whenever someone makes effort to act in accordance with the ten-fold Mahayana virtuous practices, may he/she always be assisted by the mighty ones; and may oceans of prosperity spread everywhere.

Request to Lama Tzong Khapa

Avalokiteshvara, great treasure of objectless compassion,
Manjushri, master of flawless wisdom,
Tzong Khapa, crown jewel of the Snowy Lands' sages
Lobsang Drakpa, I make request at your holy feet. 3x

No comments: